Friday, January 9, 2009

No more naps for me!...

Christmas Eve-morning, Brian worked at the office until noon, I was really tired that morning so I decided to take a nap while Gavin had his nap. I told the girls they could watch a movie while I did so. About 10 minutes into my nap, I smelled SMOKE!!! I ran downstairs into a cloud of smoke filling the WHOLE main floor of my house! I scanned the house and found Brynlee standing on the counter putting a bag of popcorn in the microwave. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I asked. "The first bag of popcorn got burnt," she replied. "NO KIDDING!" I found the first bag of popcorn in the garbage and it was hardly recognizable as popcorn...just black powder! Brynlee then noticed the smoke that was surrounding her and she started bawling. Her eyes were stinging badly and she felt like she was going to throw up, as did I. I opened up all of the windows in the whole house and opened doors. I quickly bundled the girls up into their snow clothes and sent them to the backyard to play so I could quickly get myself and Gavin dressed and ready to leave the house. We decided to go out to lunch, although I knew that we STUNK like smoke (someone told me :)! After lunch, our house STILL smelled horribly, so we decided to go see the movie "Bolt" at the theater. It actually ended up being a lot of fun, but definitely not what we had planned for the day!
(This picture is from the internet, I was too upset to think about getting a picture before it was all cleaned up. When I look at this picture I can smell it all over again!)
Disclaimer:
(Brynlee knows not to use the microwave on her own, but Kambria told her that I said it was ok if she did it by herself this time. Kam and I had a looong talk about not telling the truth after that. Neither of the girls have any desire to use the microwave after this incident...Thank goodness.)

A few days after that incident, while in Pine Valley, I decided to take advantage of having Brian around and I laid down for another nap. This is what I woke up to:When I saw Gavin, all of the adults pointed fingers at each other. From what I gather, he did this to himself, with PERMANENT marker! Not sure of the look he was going for, but he was sure proud of it! I thought he did a very good job of making it very even on both sides.

I don't think I will be attempting another nap anytime soon. :)

3 comments:

Aleisha said...

mmmmmm that popcorn looks yummy!!!

Chad, Chelsea, Dawson and Jett Davis said...

Oh man! I am not looking forward to that.

Doty6strong said...

STINKY. I think burnt popcorn is the worse. Oh and so nice of someone to TELL you that you stunk ;)