Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pneumonia...

We have had a rough couple of months in our home (as far as sickness goes). Every weekend for the last 7 weekends with the exception of one, at least 1 of our 3 kids have been fevering or coughing, or something along those lines. It has not been fun. Jan. and Feb. are NOT my favorite months! Gavin had been coughing for a little over a week or so and it didn't seem like a big deal until he started fevering this week. I took him to the Dr. on Thursday and I was told that he has pneumonia. It broke my heart. The funny thing about Gavin is that he is the happiest sick-person I know. Whenever he is fevering he just smiles and says "I Lub you Momma" over and over again.

Thursday was a hard day. The Dr. said he wasn't going to admit Gavin into the hospital because Gavin was still eating a little, thank goodness. They gave him a heavy-duty shot and sent us home with a prescription which was a one-time-dose medication which stays in their system for 10 days. The only problem was that Gavin is really stubborn about taking meds. REALLY. It was also a HUGE dose for all at once and had to be taken on an empty stomach (so no sneaking it into food), and he did NOT want it. I tried reasoning with him ALL DAY, but he would have NOTHING to do with it. When Brian got home, we wrestled him down and got a little into him only to have him gag and immediately throw it all up! After the medication has been mixed it expires after 12 hours. I tried for 12 hours and he threw it up 9 times. We will be going back to the Dr. tomorrow for "Plan B"... Hopefully "Plan B" is NOT a refill!

5 comments:

Chad, Chelsea, Dawson and Jett Davis said...

Oh man it sounds like your last few months have been like ours... First I got the flu and Chad got the flu and then it was Dawson's turn. Chad got it again and Dawson got an ear infection a round of antibiotics later his fever spiked again only to find out that he had a throat infection and needed one more round of antibiotics.

Aleisha said...

Oh that is so sad about Gav. I hope plan B is going to work. Let me know. Lub you gavey! :)

Velvet said...

I hope Gavin is better today. Wish I could do something to help you. OK. No more illness! That's enough!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you and Gavin aren't feeling well. I feel like I have had a kid home constantly too. I'm so ready for warm weather.

Love you!

Don and Dawna said...

I love that photo and Gavin and us. I sure hope he is feeling better by now! Fingers crossed that no one will be sick next weekend.