... Really. Mean. The truth is that there is no cat. I have to blame the damage on my very own fingernails.
My liver condition I have referred to in the past is called Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy. Basically, Bile Acids accumulate in the bloodstream because the liver is failing to do it's job of regulating those acids. Those acids cause INTENSE itching!!! This is not an itch that anyone can understand unless they have experienced it. It is NOT a skin condition or rash or any sort. The itch is in the BLOODSTREAM, so no lotions or anti-histamines can even TOUCH the discomfort! Another few strange things about this is that although the itching is all over, the most intense itching displays itself in the hands (including palms) and feet (including soles), and the worst episodes of it show up in the middle of the night. This means not much sleep (if any!), just A LOT of frustration and tears! The only thing that brings me any relief at all is a bucket full of ice water and plunging my hands and feet in for as long as I can stand it (until pain takes over most of the itching).
Unfortunately, there is not much known about how to treat my condition. Basically, monitor the baby really closely until their lungs are mature enough, and then deliver immediately since the high levels of acids can cause a perfectly healthy baby to unexpectedly die. This bit of information does not help the sleep issues.
That being said...
I have actually been able to get some rest a few nights this week! This is really Miraculous since it has been weeks since I have had much relief! I was becoming Very desperate and I am going to attribute this miracle to prayer. Any sleep I can get is a tender mercy for me. I know I am not out of the woods, but it is amazing what a couple of good nights of sleep can do for a person (both mentally and physically)!
April 7th is the day that I will have an amniocentesis done (checking baby's lungs). If her lungs are mature enough, they will deliver her immediately. I will be 36 weeks and 5 days at that point. If she is not ready then they will just deliver her at 38 weeks (April 16th). Only 2-3 weeks left! We love this baby so much already, even if she still has no name! Brian thinks we still have "Plenty of time" to come up with something. Hmm...
Thursday, March 25, 2010
I LOOK like I have a really mean cat...
Posted by Aletha and Brian at 9:06 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You poor thing! My heart just goes out to you. I was on Leish's blog and saw a picture of you and just had to see what you guys were up to. Sorry to intrude (maybe) Congrats on the baby! I just assisted a c-section where the mother was suffering from this very same condition! The crazy thing is, it's so rare! Only like .01 percent of mothers have this condition. Funny too the mom was so happy to have her spinal block, because is stopped the itching. She felt so much better the next day, the baby was small, but fine, healthy. Good luck over the next few weeks, I will be praying for you and your nameless little girl. You are amazing (hug).
Well, you know there are other prayers coming your way as well... maybe those are also contributing to the rest you have been getting!! Also, I hope you tried Tylenol PM as that is what gives me a chance to rest with the pain in the pelvis I have been having which is no comparison to what you are going through. hang in there you are in my thoughts constantly! Love ya and LOVE THAT BABE already! :)
Praying for you, it makes me so sad that you're in so much pain. I hope you get some relief and sleep in the next couple weeks and that your baby arrives HEALTHY!
Post a Comment